Wednesday, June 10, 2015

We ARE More Than Enough

This world has become all about what we do. It is one of the first questions people ask when they meet each other. However, does what you do really say anything about you? Or is what you are of more importance?

Let me explain. I’ve had the honor and privilege to learn and awaken through observations of nature recently. A robin decided to build her nest on my fence, and as I watched her come back with strands of grass and beaks full of mud, I came to realize a few things. I love her. I value her. I am somewhat attached to her. Why? Was it something she did? Not really. She was just BEing.

So, why is it when it comes to other people and ourselves, we rush around trying to prove ourselves, striving to acquire this or that to define our existence, to mark our success? Are we not even more precious than the robin nesting on my fence—or at least equally so?

We think of people whom we love and what comes to mind? Maybe it is what they do that draws us close to them. After all, actions speak louder than words. But what is louder than actions? It would be what spurs actions. This is the place where motivation is born. This is where I AM lives. It is what people are, the I AMs, which dictate actions.

Example. Your spouse makes you dinner on a night you are exhausted. Is it the act that endears them to you or is it the motivation behind the action? You might respond with the act. However, think deeper. It was the thought, them BEing who they are, that resulted in the action. They considered your needs and best interests.

With the robin you might argue I became attached because she built a nest on my fence. But that would be the action. The thought, the essence of who she is endears her to me. She is peaceful. She chose a spot sheltered by a small tree branch and a fence post. She works hard, but not tirelessly. Her motivation is not to have the best nest in the world, to show off to visitors; it is to have a safe place to lay her eggs and have her babies. For this, she is proud of who she is and what she has accomplished. Every day she sings from the top of my chimney. I swear she is proclaiming her love for the world and her part in it. See what she is, the I AM, is caring, loving, and joyful. These are the qualities that draw me to love her.

Most of us have heard the expression; it’s the thought that counts. And how true. Without the thought, we would have nothing. We wouldn’t have the warm embrace of a loved one or feel their tender kiss and touch. We wouldn’t be inspired, we wouldn’t make our house a home, and on the list goes without end. So the next time you start defining yourself by what you do, by what you’ve done, or by what you’ve accomplished, dig deeper. Celebrate the I AM essence of your very BEing.


CAROLYN ARNOLD is the author of several published novels, including her best-selling Madison Knight series. Her love for writing dates back to her teen years, but it was only in recent years that she was reunited with this love to pursue it with career passion.

Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and contribution.