Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Forgiving Myself

In learning to love myself, Jack Canfield shared a very helpful tool.  He suggested every day, morning and night, to look in the mirror.  While looking yourself in the eye, say “I Love You”.  This might sound a little crazy, but it is well worth the effort.

When I started this practice, I noticed a flicker of the eye, a looking away, a feeling within of untruth and unworthiness.  As I make myself repeat this phrase, so many things come to mind as to why I do not.

There are thoughts like, I am over weight, the thought I am not this or not that.  I’m a bad person because I have made choices that have hurt others.  I am ashamed and angry with myself for allowing others to hurt me.  I may even reason with myself, I would love you if you didn’t do this or you didn’t do that, if you were a better parent, daughter, sister or friend.  The list goes on.

Needless to say I Love Me conditionally!  AH-HA!  If I love me conditionally, how can I expect anyone else to love me unconditionally?

Okay, so forgiveness is necessary.  I need to forgive me for the hurt I’ve caused others, the hurt I’ve allowed, the thoughtless words and actions I do each day.  So how do I do this?

This little prayer or intention has been helpful to me on this path (saying to myself)
“I forgive you and set you free.  The past no longer has power over me.  You are free and I am free.  Free, to be the me I am meant to be.”

As I am working with this intention, I begin to learn and understand more about myself.  Based on my experiences and tools I have learned for handling things in my life, I am doing the best I know how.  I am perfect, whole and complete just the way I am. 

I am an all-powerful spiritual being and an individual expression of the Divine Source that shines within me.  I love me, unconditionally, fully and completely.  In this place, I remember, I am loved and forgiven.  I’m a shining soul after all!


~ Sherry Buikema

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment and contribution.